Peter V’landys rules out wiping early NRL points


Politis argued all results should be wiped ahead of the planned May 28 resumption to ensure the “integrity” of the game, saying it had nothing to do with the two-time defending premiers’ 0-2 season start.

It’s the second time in a week V’landys has been forced to quash the suggestion points will be stripped from the opening fortnight after it had been floated originally by NRL innovation committee head Wayne Pearce.

It caused uproar with fans and clubs, particularly the 10 teams who scored a win in the first two weeks.

Loading

“It would be pretty devastating, we obviously started the season pretty good and would have been a bit upsetting to have those points taken away,” Eels playmaker Mitch Moses told Fox Sports.

Even winless Gold Coast believe results for the first two rounds should remain when the NRL resumes. Fellow winless outfits the Warriors and Cronulla have echoed Politis’ controversial call and the last-placed Titans would be forgiven for doing the same.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook’s debut season started with two losses and a whopping minus 58 points differential.

But on Monday, the cellar dwellers said they couldn’t see the logic in starting the season next month from scratch.

“The results should stand,” Titans executive chairman Dennis Watt said. “All teams worked hard for those results and they should be very much part of the 2020 season.”

AAP



Rugby

Related posts

Make a comment