“We’ve said we’ll do what we can as players and I think you’d find there’s players who would be more than willing to do that and you will have some who are vehemently opposed.
“I know these are desperate times, but we have also got to be measured in our response to this.”
Dangerfield’s former Adelaide teammate Taylor Walker was also sceptical.
“I reckon if you went and had six teams in one hub, if the coronavirus did happen to get inside it would spread quite quickly and it’d get across six teams,” Walker told Triple M on Tuesday.
The AFLPA struck a deal with the AFL that will result in the players taking a 50 per cent pay cut if games are playing in 2020 or a 70 per cent cut if the season is abandoned.
Clubs have told the league that they will need three weeks to prepare for round two with the league looking to give clubs an update on April 27 about a potential resumption date. However, most think it will be too early to make a call then.
“We’ve got to do the right thing by the community and set the right example and I think round one was a good example of the angst playing created and I just think to do something like that while everyone is still in lockdown, there would have to be a huge amount of thought go into it,” Dangerfield said.
“I’m not sure how comfortable I would be with it.”
Dangerfield said, however, that all players were conscious of the effect the shutdown was having on football clubs and their staff with 80 per cent having been stood down while the season is halted.
He said that fact alone was motivation for players to do all they could to get a season completed. But he added that many players would find it “extremely difficult” to be isolated away from their families for extended periods to play football.
‘‘We so often hear people talk about sportsmen as role models, well, this is something that’s affecting absolutely everyone within the country, so our role to that is to do as we’re told and to abide by the government guidelines,” he said.
‘‘It’s more and bigger than just sport, so let’s get through it first and make logical decisions post.’’
Dangerfield said no formal plan around returning to action had been put to the Players’ Association as of Tuesday morning.
“At some stage we all want to be back playing but it’s got to be the right time,’’ he said. “I would assume that we would be consulted as a PA and really go through the intricacies of restarting the season.
“But my own personal view at the moment is we are a long way away from that.
“We’ve got to flatten the curve and really reduce it as best we possibly can. Then, and only then, once it becomes safe we think about restarting the season.”
Peter Ryan is a sports reporter with The Age covering AFL, horse racing and other sports.