Huge queues at Centrelink offices after MyGov website crashes


“We will be focusing on those in the front line, those who will be feeling the first blows of the economic impact of the coronavirus,” Mr Morrison said on Sunday.

Huge lines at Marrickville Centrelink after the website crashed. Credit:Nick Moir

On July 13, the government will also make a $750 cash payment to about 5 million people on social security and veteran income support. Another $750 payment previously announced by the government will be paid on March 31.

Up to 5000 staff members will be recruited by Services Australia, which runs Centrelink, to handle the surge in demand, Mr Morrison said on Sunday.

Labor leader Anthony Albanese criticised the government for doing too little to clarify which workers were eligible for the new payments.

“I watched that media conference last night and I thought it was as clear as mud,” Mr Albanese told ABC Radio.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said any worker whose income had fallen below $1075 a fortnight would be eligible for the coronavirus supplement payment of $550 a fortnight.

Scores of people economically affected by the coronavirus line up outside Centrelink in Richmond.

Scores of people economically affected by the coronavirus line up outside Centrelink in Richmond.Credit:Chris Hopkins

He said a worker who had been stood down — like tens of thousands of Qantas workers — would also be able to get normal welfare payments if they had exhausted all of their leave.

“What we’ve tried to do is get the sole trader access to this payment… to get the casual access to this payment,” Mr Frydenberg said on ABC Radio.

The payments will not have a waiting time, besides the time that it takes for a person to register for Centrelink. Even before the current crisis, registering for Newstart, now known as JobSeeker, took an average of 15 days in 2018-19, according to data provided to Senate estimates by Services Australia.

Loading

Asked whether those whose partner’s income remained above the earning threshold would still be able to access the new payments, Mr Frydenberg said “It’s based on the income of the person who is actually seeking this payment”.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions lashed the government’s decision to make the payments available only from April 27.

“That’s unacceptable,” ACTU president Michele O’Neil said. “That needs to happen now.”

“Workers need this money today in their pockets.”

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments at a glance, the numbers you need to know and what our readers are saying. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in Politics

Loading



Politics

Related posts

Make a comment