The boy from Wuhan had been travelling with a 44-year-old man and 42-year-old woman diagnosed with the virus in Queensland last week. They had all been on a tour that is understood to have stopped in Melbourne and the Gold Coast.
All three are from Hubei province which is at the epicentre of the coronavirus in China.
The child is in a stable condition in isolation at Gold Coast University Hospital with the man and woman. He’s believed to be the only child among the 13 cases in Australia diagnosed so far.
Message from Dr Young, Queensland’s Chief Health Officer: If you have been to China in the last 14 days and you are sick you must immediately see a doctor.
— Queensland Health (@qldhealthnews) February 4, 2020
It’s understood there were nine people in their tour group.
The Courier Mail reports the group travelled from Wuhan, in China’s central Hubei Province, via Singapore, into Melbourne, on January 22.
They arrived on the Gold Coast from Melbourne on Tigerair flight TT566 on January 27.
It’s unclear at this stage whether the boy caught the virus in Wuhan or while travelling in Australia with the other two infected members of his tour group.
All nine members of the tour group have been in isolation in the Gold Coast University Hospital since last Wednesday, when the man was diagnosed with the virus.
Queensland Health is in the process of contacting passengers on Tiger Airways flight TT566 on January 27 after the patients tested positive to coronavirus.
Passengers have been advised to self-isolate in their homes or hotels and be alert for symptoms including fever, couth, sore threat, fatigue and difficulty breathing and contact a GP if necessary.
This comes as two more confirmed cases were confirmed in South Australia.
The man and woman in their 60s remain in a stable condition in isolation at the Royal Adelaide Hospital after tests confirmed the presence of the virus.
SA medical authorities said it was now known that one of the patients was showing symptoms while aboard China Southern Airlines flight CZ663.
It was initially thought that neither were showing symptoms on the flight from Guangzhou in southern China, arriving on January 21.
“Anybody who was on this flight is encouraged to contact the communicable disease branch of SA Health and discuss whether or not they have developed symptoms themselves,” chief medical officer Nicola Spurrier said on Monday.
“We will be trying to make contact with as many people on that flight as possible, particularly people who were situated close to these two cases.”
It was also confirmed two people showing symptoms were taken from a domestic flight that arrived in Adelaide from interstate on Monday and would be tested for coronavirus.
Of the 13 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia so far, three have now been diagnosed in Queensland.
There are four in New South Wales, four in Victoria and two in South Australia.
In response to the new cases in Queensland, the state’s Health Minister Steven Miles is rushing new laws through parliament to extend his existing health emergency order from one week to three months.
The move will give health officers more time to require the quarantine or isolation of suspected coronavirus cases and force people to undergo medical checks and tests.
The bill was introduced into state parliament on Tuesday, the first sitting day of 2020.
Mr Miles wants it to pass the house by Thursday. It would remain in place for 12 months and apply solely to the novel coronavirus.
More than 400 people have been assessed for coronavirus since screening started at Brisbane International Airport on Sunday.