The union’s national secretary, Peter Marshall, said there had been at least 15 bushfire-related inquiries in the past 20 years.
“In many cases, the recommendations of these expensive, time-consuming and comprehensive reviews remain yet to be implemented,” he said.
Mr Marshall, who also leads the union’s militant Victorian branch, said the role of climate change, military deployment, prescribed burning and fuel reduction and the role of the Commonwealth had previously been canvassed in other reviews.
On the weekend Mr Morrison said he would take his plan for a royal commission to his cabinet.
The Victorian government announced on Tuesday it would launch its own immediate review of the preparation and response to the current bushfire crisis.
Premier Daniel Andrews has allocated $2.55 million to that inquiry by Inspector-General for Emergency Management Tony Pearce, who will deliver a first report before the next fire season with a second report due in 2021.
Across Australia, bushfires since August have killed 28 people, burnt through an estimated 18,626,000 hectares, and destroyed more than 2200 homes, as of January 14, 2020.
more to come