Victoria Police have been supporting communities near the NSW and Victorian border since this morning after “evacuate now” notices were issued for several areas.
“It is strongly recommended that you evacuate now if you are located in Burrowye, Koetong, Lucyvale, Nariel Valley, Shelley, Berringama and surrounding communities,” the warning reads.
A separate but similar warning is also in place for Biggara, Tintaldra, Towong, Towong Upper, Walwa.
“Move to a safer location away from the fire. Fire weather on Saturday is predicted to be extreme creating fire storm conditions which may not be survivable.”
The warning is current to 12.10pm on Friday. “Evacuation after this time is considered life threatening. After 12.10pm it may be too late to leave. Shelter indoors when the fire arrives — protect yourself from the radiant heat,” the warning advises.
A “firestorm” is when a fire reaches such intensity that it creates its own wind system, for instance the Black Saturday bushfires of 2009.
The Murray Valley Highway heading west towards Tallangatta is the recommended evacuation direction.
This morning Victorians are warned to avoid all travel in East Gippsland due to “significant fire activity”.
In NSW, leave now evacuation orders have been issued for the south coast from Batemans Bay to the Victorian border, Batlow and Wondalga in the Riverina, Shoalhaven, the Snowy Monaro region, and Khancoban.
A number of major roads are also closed in both states.
VICTORIAN ROAD CLOSURES
• The Princes Highway is closed between Orbost and the border with NSW with motorists advised to take the Hume Freeway if they’re trying to leave the state.
• The Monaro Highway remains shut from Cann River to Imlay Road, around 13 kilometres north of the NSW border.
• The Great Alpine Road is shut between Hotham Heights and Wongungarra.
• Bonang Road is completely shut from Orbost all the way up to the NSW border.
• Mallacoota-Genoa Road remains closed as the navy begins evacuating those trapped in Mallacoota.
• For the latest closures and to stay up to date visit the VicTraffic map.
NSW ROAD CLOSURES
• The Princes Highway is closed between Narrabarba and the Victorian border as well as between Batemans Bay and Moruya.
• Myrtle Mountain Road is closed between Mount Darragh Road and Candelo.
• Alpine Way is closed between Khancoban and Bullocks Flat.
• Cooma Road is closed between Braidwood and Cooma.
• Braidwood Road is closed between Charleyong and Nowra.
• Araluen Road is closed between Moruya and Braidwood.
• Turpentine Road linking Braidwood Road and the Princes Highway is also closed.
• The Kings Highway is closed between Braidwood and Nelligen.
• The Snowy Mountains Highway is closed between Tumut and Adaminaby.
• For the latest closures and to stay up to date visit the Live Traffic NSW website.
TOTAL FIRE BANS IN PLACE
A statewide total fire ban is in place for NSW today.
In Victoria a total fire ban is in place for the North East, East Gippsland, South West and Wimmera regions.