On Christmas Eve, drivers were told to “be prepared for roads to close with little or no notice”.
“Drive to the conditions and follow the directions of emergency services and traffic crews,” Live Traffic NSW added in a Facebook post today.
Many commenters were confused by the dynamic nature of the road closures, asking Live Traffic NSW if they’d be able to make their journey safely in comments on the post.
People on the roads today and tomorrow, Christmas Day, are urged to continue to monitor updates as bushfire activity continues to affect roads and highways. A full list of affected roadways is below.
NSW SOUTH COAST
The Charleys Forest Fire and Currowan Fire are affecting areas from Batemans Bay and Sussex Inlet through to Braidwood.
• Nowra Hill to Callala Bay: Forest Road is closed
• Nowra Hill to Charleyong: Nerriga Road/Braidwood Road is closed
• Jerrawangala to Tomerong: Turpentine Road is closed
• Braidwood to Nelligen: Kings Highway is closed
• Braidwood to Moruya: Araluen Road is closed
• High Range to Taralga: Wombeyan Caves Road is closed
Couridjah, Yanderra, Hill Top, Buxton and Balmoral Village and surrounds is affected by the Green Wattle Creek fire, which has burned more than 200,000 hectares of land and continues to burn out of control. The fire has affected roads in the area.
• Hill Top to Couridjah: Wilson Drive/West Parade is closed
• High Range to Taralga: Wombeyan Cave Road is closed
BLUE MOUNTAINS/CENTRAL WEST
The ongoing Gospers Mountain and Grose Valley fires have affected roads in the Blue Mountains/Lithgow area. Motorists are reminded of the following closures and urged to avoid the area if possible.
• Ilford to Cullen Bullen: Castlereagh Highway is closed
• Oaky Park (east of Lithgow): Bells Road is closed
• Hampton to Oberon: Jenolan Caves Road is closed
• Kurrajong and Lithgow: Bells Line of Road and Chifley Road are closed
• Bell to Mount Victoria: Darling Causeway is closed
• Blackheath: Govetts Leap Road is closed
Buses are also replacing trains between Mount Victoria and Lithgow/Bathurst on the Blue Mountains Line
• Bucketty to Broke: Great Northern Road/Paynes Crossing Road/Wollombi Road is closed
• Wollombi to Laguna: Yango Creek Road is closed
• Paynes Crossing: Stockyard Creek Road is closed
• Bucketty to Kulnura: George Downes Drive is closed
• Bucketty to St Albans: Wollombi Road/Great Northern Road is closed
The Carrai Creek and Coombes Gap Complex fires have affected roads from Mount Seaview to Yarrowitch.
• Mount Seaview to Yarrowitch: the Oxley Highway is closed
• Nymboida to Billys Creek: Armidale Road is closed