With excessive workload not an issue, though, after beating Pakistan inside four days, Hazlewood hopes the all-NSW attack can stay together.
“Ideally, that’s the perfect scenario,” said Hazlewood, who will play his 50th Test in Adelaide. “Being a fast bowler, you can never look too far ahead. It’s quite tough, the summer in Australia, with the wickets seeming a lot harder than England and places like that. They do take their toll.
“But ideally you want to keep the same bowling group together, the same as the top six. Guys get confidence, they relax when they know they are not on their last chance. We are certainly no different.”
The three Australian quicks not only shared the wickets around at the Gabba but split use of the new ball. Starc and Hazlewood opening the bowling in the first innings, a scenario that led Test greats Brett Lee and Shane Warne to say Cummins deserved to have the duties. In the second innings, Cummins took the new ball for the first time in Tests in Australia, with Starc opening up at the other end.
“We just draw straws,” Hazlewood joked. “I’m fine with it. I think it just depends on conditions. I think Starcy is always worth a try in Australia when it doesn’t swing for a long period. He is great at bending them back down for lbws and bowleds early on.
“And I think Patty and I can share the other end. Patty has been phenomenal whether he bowls with the new ball or first change. I don’t think any of us are really worried who takes it.”
Pattinson, meanwhile, will link up with the squad after serving a one-Test ban after being charged with a code of conduct breach over an alleged homophobic comment directed at Queensland’s Cameron Gannon in a Sheffield Shield match.
Australia coach Justin Langer told radio broadcaster Alan Jones last week “clearly it wasn’t a homophobic slur, that’s my view”, saying the Victorian had been banned because it was his third behavourial breach in 18 months.
Cricket Australia national teams chief Ben Oliver declined to go into detail about the incident when asked about Langer’s comment. The exact nature of the personal abuse for which Pattinson was was not publicly released by CA when the sanction was announced on November 17.
“There is no need or purpose to go into exactly what was said there, we’re not going to go into that,” Oliver said. “What is really clear is that James knows that it was inappropriate.
“He’s acknowledged it, apologised and he’s a good human being and he’s paid a fairly hefty penalty in missing the first Test. He’ll rejoin the team in Adelaide as was planned and be part of full preparation there, and I guess we play on.
“The team’s been really consistent in the way they’ve considered how to carry themselves on the field. There was a discussion prior to the first Test here on assembly that reinforced the team’s values and how they want to carry themselves on the field.”
Chris Barrett is Sports Editor of The Sydney Morning Herald.