“That’s the best we’re here for these two guys, they’ll concentrate on the club and try to be better and maybe come back in the future.”
Wales and Atkinson, along with Perth’s Brandon Wilson, have been banned from international representation until August 2020 following a lengthy investigation by Football Federation Australia.
Olyroos skipper Riley McGree has also been banned but his suspension will end in time for him to play for Australia at the Tokyo Olympics, if the Olyroos qualify and if Graham Arnold selects him.
At the time of the incident, in March, McGree was a Melbourne City player.
Mombaerts said he was not fully aware of the details of the allegation, but did not have an issue with bringing Wales and Atkinson into the fold.
“No, I don’t have any problems, any issues with the players, so I don’t know what’s happened, I don’t know the responsibility of the players,” he said.
“So when you don’t know about the situation, let the other [FFA] take their responsibility.
“But they are young, now they have to pay – so they have to maybe also respect this but for us, we need to support our players and help them to be better.”
FFA handed down the punishment late on Tuesday afternoon.
The game’s governing body gave little detail about the woman’s allegations, but sources who had knowledge of what occurred confirmed one of the players made contact with a woman through Tinder and provided her with tickets to watch one of the team’s matches at the Asian Football Confederation’s under-23 championship qualifying tournament in March.
The Age reported on Tuesday that on the final night of the tour the player invited her to the team hotel, where she had consensual sex with the four players. There was no suggestion of assault.
The woman was aggrieved by the way she was treated and the fact that she was left stranded at the hotel by the players.
She then contacted the Australian embassy with fears there were photos or videos taken of the encounter, a complaint she later withdrew. But her complaint had already been passed onto Sport Australia and then FFA.
Michael Lynch is The Age’s chief soccer reporter and also reports on motor sport and horseracing