Having already locked in the support of the NSW and Queensland governments, FFA is expecting to find out next week which other states will also back the bid.
Finding out which other countries lodge paperwork with FIFA on December 13 will also help FFA determine if Australia is any chance of emerging as the preferred bid of the Asian Football Confederation.
Japan is still in the mix, along with South Korea, whose ambitions of a joint bid with North Korea were surely harmed by the bizarre and violent nature of the men’s World Cup qualifier staged in Pyongyang last month between the two nations.
Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, South Africa and New Zealand are also bidding, with a combined trans-Tasman effort still potentially on the cards.
Gallop said the new CBA showed how much women’s football matters to Australia, and that FIFA should take notice.
“I think having this arrangement in place can only enhance our World Cup bid,” Gallop said. “FIFA definitely look to how host countries develop and promote women’s football and to have this arrangement in place should be seen as a demonstration that we are serious about advancing women’s football.”
Didulica said: “I think if FIFA are being authentic, this type of deal makes Australia the perfect place to host the World Cup, because we’re putting our money literally where our mouth is.”
On top of wanting to host the tournament, FFA and the PFA also want the winners of the next World Cup to receive more in prize money.
While the CBA now entitles Matildas players to 40 per cent of prize money from the World Cup – and 10 per cent more if they reach the knockout stages – there is a whopping US$370 million gap between what FIFA makes available for the men’s and women’s tournaments. The PFA launched a campaign for pay equity in prize money in France earlier this year.
“The discrepancy is stark,” Gallop said. “This will help those who are sitting in this seat [as my successor], and JD and others, to continue to drive in that area. This deal does not take into account that discrepancy, and it’s a discrepancy that needs attention from FIFA. It’s great that that is getting global attention and we can be part of that.”
Wednesday’s press conference confirming the new CBA was Gallop’s first true media appearance since he announced in July that he would be stepping away from the role at the end of the year.
He said he still was, and always had been, optimistic about the general direction and health of football in Australia, with the agreement an example of the sort of mutually-beneficial dealings he believes will be the cornerstones of future growth.
“[Football is] in a very competitive landscape but it has things going for it, from the grassroots to the Socceroos and Matildas, which no other sport can match,” Gallop said.
“There does need to continue to be a unification of effort, even though the game is moving into a different governance structure. That will only work if those two bodies [FFA and the independent A-League] continue to talk to each other, continue to generate revenue in a way that represents both interests.
“On day one in this job I said in decades to come, this will be the number one sport in the country. It is decades away but it is coming.”
Vince is a sports reporter for The Sydney Morning Herald.