A gunman in a tactical vest with a portable radio shot at a Melbourne home earlier this month, kicking at the door and telling residents to “open up”.
Just four days later, the same home was the scene of another shooting incident, where a man, 20, was shot at 10 times outside his house as he desperately darted through his front yard trying to dodge the shots.
Victorian Police have released chilling CCTV of the two incidents, which occurred on June 4 and June 8, as they appeal for information into the shootings, which they believe could be linked with outlaw motorcycle gangs or tied to organised crime.
THE JUNE 4 INCIDENT
In the first incident, on June 4, a gunman can be seen approaching the porch of the home in Reservoir, 12km north of Melbourne’s CBD.
The gunman approached the home and can be seen with what appears to be a handgun, and a military tactical vest, as well as a portable radio, according to Victorian Police.
He fired five shots into the front of the home, and the two parked cars in the driveway.
In the video, the man can be heard screaming, “Open up! Open up!” as he fires the gun.
He then gets into a waiting a car and speeds away.
There were four people inside the home at the time of the attack, who were all sleeping and were unharmed.
Police have described the offender as being of medium build and say he was wearing track pants, a hooded windcheater and a balaclava. Police also believe he was wearing a military-style vest and had a portable radio over his back.
THE JUNE 8 INCIDENT
Four days later, the Reservoir home was targeted again. On Saturday about 1.30am a man left his home to meet with someone in the street, according to Victoria Police.
CCTV footage shows the victim, 20, checking his mobile as he wandered from the home toward the car.
As he approaches the black Porsche parked outside his home, a person jumped from the car and fires shots at the man.
The 20-year-old turned and ran from the shooter, jumping his neighbour’s fence and weaves as he runs across his front yard. About 10 shots are fired at the man in rapid succession before the gunman gets backs into the car and speeds away.
“It appears the offender continued firing the gun towards the victim as he ran for cover back towards his home,” Victoria Police said in a statement.
The Reservoir man was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The Porsche SUV was found burnt out in Mitchell Street in Brunswick East a short time later, about 1.55am.
“We understand that people in the community feel concerned following reports of shootings played out in public,” said Detective Superintendent Peter Brigham.
“I want to reassure the community that police and our division are working hard to investigate this incident and hold those responsible to account.
“This footage is confronting and in releasing it we’re hoping that someone will come forward with information.
“The people involved in this have friends, they have relatives, someone knows who is responsible and I’m urging those people to come forward — we don’t want anyone else to get hurt.
“As part of the investigation we are looking to possible links with outlaw motorcycle gangs and those with ties to Middle Eastern organised crime.
“I want to also reiterate that this appears very much a targeted attack and at this stage there is no evidence to suggest the shootings are linked to any other incidents we’re aware of.”
Police have released CCTV of the incident in the hopes that anyone with information will come forward.
The investigation remains ongoing and anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppers.com.au