Victoria Police today released a map showing the getaway path of the alleged killer as they ramp up their search.
Daniel O’Shea, 41, was found shot dead in a South Yarra park on April 26, with two firearms found nearby by children the next day.
Detectives said Mr O’Shea was believed to have been in the park for a prearranged meeting, and have tracked down footage of a man leaving the area on the night of his death.
“Someone out there knows exactly who this man is,” Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper said. “They know who he is, why he was there, and what connection he has to our victim.”
The wanted man was wearing black clothes and a green baseball cap, and carried a red and white Coles plastic shopping bag.
Shortly after the shooting, police said the killing was believed to be a targeted attack and that there was no ongoing threat to the community.
“I understand that there are people, especially those with connections in the criminal underworld, who feel they don’t want to get involved in these incidents,” Mr Stamper said, urging people with information to come forward.
“Regardless of the circumstances, someone has been murdered. We have a mother who has lost a son, people have lost a partner or a friend.”
The wanted man was caught on multiple CCTV cameras walking east from Fawkner Park — the scene of the shooting — along Toorak Road and onto Como Avenue before entering Como Park.
Mr O’Shea’s death was one in a string of Melbourne shooting murders, treated as unrelated by police.
The Melbourne man was known to police before his death and had associates in Middle Eastern crime and outlaw motorcycle gangs.
Police previously apologised for not finding the guns allegedly used to kill Mr O’Shea.
A line search of Fawkner Park in South Yarra by police and SES personnel failed to find the guns, which were later spotted by members of the public about 50m from the body of Daniel O’Shea, 41.
“I understand that must have been incredibly frightening for the children and their mother. I’m very sorry that it happened,” Acting Deputy Commissioner Tess Walsh told 3AW earlier this week.
“It shouldn’t have happened and it’s very regrettable. There is no doubt that the search should have turned up these firearms.”
The shooting occurred overnight Friday and the guns were found the next day.
Forensic officers are examining the weapons to check whether they are linked to Friday night’s shooting.
Eight men have died in six shootings since March 1 and charges have been laid for only three of the attacks.
March 1: Craigieburn dad Ben Toigai, 30, was shot dead and two others injured outside a Kensington boxing match. Abdullah El Nasher, 27, and Mikhael Myko, 25, are charged.
March 3: Mitat Rasimi, aged in his 50s, died after crashing his car into a pole at Dandenong, but police believe gunshots he received earlier caused his death. An arrest is yet to be made.
March 4: Ali Ali, 28, and Deniz Hasan, 40 die after being shot at Meadow Heights. Norden Wilio, 23, has been charged.
March 10: Winis Apet shot dead at Springvale allegedly by 19-year-old Paguir Pan.
April 14: Security guard Aaron Khalid Osmani, 37, and patron Richard Arow, 28, die after being shot outside the Love Machine nightclub. No arrests made.
April 26: Daniel O’Shea, 41, is found dead at Fawkner Park at South Yarra. No arrests made.