Craig McLachlan’s lawyer complains over media ‘siege’


Mr McLachlan, 53, is facing charges of indecent assault, common assault and attempted indecent assault that is alleged to have occurred between April and July 2014.

Today one of the indecent charges was withdraw by prosecutors.

At the time, Mr McLachlan was starring in the Rocky Horror Show in Melbourne.

Craig McLachlan arrives at the Melbourne Magistrates Court today. Picture: Daniel Pockett/AAPSource:AAP

He appeared at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this morning wearing a blue suit and tie accompanied by his partner Vanessa Scammell.

Mr McLachlan’s lawyer told the magistrate his client should be excused from a contest mention on June 13 in Melbourne because he lives in Sydney.

He also argued successfully that his client should be excused because of the media attention the case attracts.

McLachlan has previously vowed to fight the allegations made against him.

The Gold Logie winner was charged on summons in January with eight counts of indecent assault, one of common assault and attempted indecent assault. Picture: Daniel Pockett/AAP

The Gold Logie winner was charged on summons in January with eight counts of indecent assault, one of common assault and attempted indecent assault. Picture: Daniel Pockett/AAPSource:AAP

The last time his case was in court his lawyer Stuart Littlemore QC said he wanted the matter dealt with quickly.

“My current thinking is to seek to go straight to trial,” Mr Littlemore said in February.

Around the time of the alleged offending Mr McLachlan was starring in the Rocky Horror Show stage production in Melbourne, playing Dr Frank-N-Furter.

Mr McLachlan previously faced allegations of misconduct by fellow cast members in the Rocky Horror Show.

McLachlan has strongly denied the allegations. Picture: Tim Hunter.

McLachlan has strongly denied the allegations. Picture: Tim Hunter.Source:News Corp Australia

The actor strongly denied the accusations and launched defamation action in NSW last year, suing Fairfax Media, the ABC and former co-star Christie Whelan Browne.

He is seeking $6.5 million in special damages in the defamation case, which has been delayed until after his criminal proceedings in Victoria.

The actor became a household name for his roles on Australian soap operas Neighbours and Home And Away.

He won a Gold Logie in 1990 and more recently he has led the Ballarat-filmed TV series Doctor Blake Mysteries.



News

Related posts

Make a comment