The disgraced duo’s reintegration will be a work in progress this year, especially in the months leading up to their expected appearance in Australia’s World Cup opener on June 1.
However, a recent meeting in Dubai was a major milestone.
“It’s probably too hard to judge at the moment … too early to say,” Cummins said when asked how the past year has changed Smith.
“I know how hard it has been for them.
“Cricket was pretty much their life.
“They were on tour for 12 months of the year and having that taken away, I think it took them both quite a while to adjust.”
Cummins noted Smith and Warner were “both really good” while mingling with the ODI squad earlier this month.
“Obviously it’s such a different environment compared to what it was last year, just from the amount of change in personnel more than anything,” he said.
One year on from the Newlands nightmare, questions about Australia’s illegal ploy continue to be raised, even by former skipper and Cricket Australia (CA) board member Mark Taylor.
Taylor and Ian Healy, speaking to Wide World of Sports, questioned why CA’s initial investigation in South Africa was restricted to a single game.
Healy went so far as to say “they’d certainly been doing it [tampering] for some time. A lot of them got lucky in an inquiry that was very specific to this incident”.
Smith insisted at the time of his life-changing leadership failure that it was a one off and reiterated the message three months ago when he spoke to reporters in Sydney.
Cummins, who followed Smith’s Indian Premier League return via a live stream from Australia’s team hotel in Abu Dhabi, is thrilled the sacked skipper is now doing what he loves the most.
“You won’t find anybody who loves playing cricket more than Smithy, so I’m excited to see how he goes in the IPL,” he said.
“I’m sure he’ll score some runs and hopefully they’ll both be right in the mix for the World Cup.”