The league also said that while there had been illegal promises made in Cronulla’s premiership-winning year of 2016, they did not take the Sharks’ salary above the cap level.
“I will say this to Cam, be very careful what you wish for,” Gallen said on Channel Nine’s Sports Sunday.
“We went in and self-reported a $50,000 discrepancy, which the CEO thought was all it was. It turned out it was a $700,000 discrepancy.
“You maybe don’t want the NRL going back and searching those books, particularly when they [Melbourne] were found to be $3.7 million over the salary cap over five years.
“Three of those years they were a million over the cap.
“Compared to the Sharks, we were 750k over in intended third-party payments, the NRL found they were intended to be paid. Not all were paid.”
Gallen said he didn’t feel as if Cronulla’s maiden premiership title, which came with a grand final win over Melbourne, had been tainted by the cap breaches.
“If we got it taken off us, I would throw my ring away and I would quit the club immediately. It wouldn’t sit well with me,” he said.
“The fact is we were under the salary cap in 2016, even with the intended third-party payments. We were under the salary cap. I have no issue with it.”
Meanwhile, James Segeyaro appears set to be the unlucky Sharks player to lose his contract over the breaches, with the club forced to play $353,500 under the cap for the next two years.